State Vehicle Reservation Procedures

Need to reserve a CBL Vehicle? Are you an approved CBL Driver?

First, you must be an approved CBL vehicle operator. This is accomplished by scheduling a driving review with the Maintenance Department. Begin by scheduling an appointment (call x352) and bring your current (not expired) Driver’s License along with you. A brief driving test will be conducted along with a copy of your driver’s license which is sent to our Central Administration Office for driving record verification.

Once that is out of the way, you can request vehicles by sending an email to VEHICLES. We cannot take reservations over the phone.

Your request will need to include:

  • Your name as the driver
  • Any passengers' names (must be UMCES business related)
  • Account number to charge
  • Destination & Purpose of the trip
  • Will you be transporting water or samples, hazardous materials, or other unusual items?
  • Type of vehicle preferred (see available list of vehicles below) -
  • Date and time you would like to pick up the vehicle
  • Date and time you will be returning the vehicle

A few things to keep in mind when making a request:

  • You must be authorized to operate a State vehicle
  • Passengers must be University employees or others that are authorized to ride in a State vehicle. Under no circumstances can you transport your family/friends or children in university vehicles.
  • Make sure you are authorized to use the account number you have entered and have travel or vehicle funds available in that account and that the travel is relevant to that account.
  • Once your request is fully completed and reviewed, you will receive a reply email from the automated School Dude Scheduling System which will indicate the vehicle that has been assigned to you or that a vehicle is not available to fill your request.
  • On the day of departure (or the day before if early departure) keys and gas card must be picked up by the DRIVER at the Maintenance Building (Office area). Cars will be fully fueled upon departure. You will be provided a fuel credit card along with the keys. All vehicles must be returned to campus with a FULL gas tank. If not, your account will be charged a refueling fee as well as the fuel costs.
  • Check the car over prior to departure and note any issues or concerns with the vehicle. The mileage log located in the passenger visor MUST be competed on the appropriate date of use. Ending mileage MUST be recorded for state reporting purposes.
  • Upon return to campus, please check the car over and report any concerns or damages that occurred. Return the keys, credit card and the car to the Maintenance Building during business hours. If returning after hours, please park the car in the Truitt Building parking lot and return the keys and credit card the next day to Maintenance.

Available Vehicle Listing:

  • 2017 Ford Focus hatchback
  • 2017 Dodge Caravan (7 passanger)
  • 2017 Chevy Volt
  • 2017 Chevy Truck – available for towing and research
  • 2013 Chevy Silverado – used for towing and research

Vehicle Usage Charges:

  • Trucks and Vans for research - $60 per day and $.49 per mile
  • Cars or Vans for meeting - $40 per day and $.49 per mile